Suspect in Adams Mahama murder case busted in Cote d’Ivoire

The second suspect in the murder of the former Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Alhaji Adams Mahama, has been arrested.
The suspect, Asabke Alangdi, was busted in Cote d’Ivoire on January 25, 2019, following a collaboration between Ghana’s security agencies and Interpol.

In view of this, the Attorney-General (A-G) has filed a nolle prosequi to discontinue the trial of Gregory Afoko, the other accused person who had been standing trial for the death of the former regional party chairman.

Alhaji Mahama’s death

Alhaji Mahama suffered severe bodily injuries after a substance suspected to be acid was allegedly poured on him in front of his house in Bolgatanga around 11 p.m. on May 20, 2015. He later died from the injuries at the Bolgatanga General Hospital.

Afoko was arraigned for the former regional party chairman’s death and has pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Alangdi, the other accused person, had been at large since the alleged crime was committed.

48-hour arraignment

Briefing the press on the arrest of Alangdi, the Minister of Information, Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, said “the fugitive’s arrest came after over a year of surveillance and search during which he moved camps from Burkina Faso to Cote d’Ivoire.

“We expect that in the next 48 hours the suspect will be remanded in police custody and in next 48 hours he will be put before a court for committal trial to begin,” he stated.

The minister stated that Alangdi was the second person believed to have conspired with the first suspect Afoko in the murder of Alhaji Mahama on May 20, 2015.

“It will be recalled that on that day Mr Mahama was attacked in front of his home in Bolgatanga with acid, leading to his death,” he stated.

According to him, investigations revealed that Mr Mahama’s death was allegedly caused by Afoko and Alangdi.

“Alangdi, however, fled the Ghanaian jurisdiction in the days after the murder and has been on the run since.

Ghana’s security agencies have been on a manhunt for him since then.

Related posts