The seven-member committee setup to probe the most recent violence that erupted between the Konkombas and Chekosis on Tuesday presented their report to the Ministry of Interior0.
Following the renewed violent clashes and reprisals, allegedly over a two-acre land, the committee was setup to provide in-depth facts about the remote causes of the communal violence.
Chairman of the fact-finding committee, former IGP, Patrick Acheampong who presented the report noted that, the violent reprisals came as a surprise considering the fact that both factions had lived cordially before the said violence.
Receiving the report on behalf of the ministry, Interior Minister, Ambrose Dery assured patrons that, government will study the report and subsequently implement the recommendations made by the committee to ultimately ensure that sanity is restored among the two factions, considering the new-found peace in the region.
The committee set up on January 10, 2019, was given up to February 12, 2019 to present findings on the remote causes of the violence between Konkombas and Chokosis in Chereponi in Northern Region.
Two persons were shot dead while several others sustained severe gunshot wounds last year in a renewed conflict between the Konkomba and Chekosi ethnic groups at Naaduni over an alleged land dispute.
Thirteen persons were arrested in connection with the violent clashes between the two ethnic groups but they were later released without charge.
The violent clashes renewed after some alleged Konkombas attacked a Chekosi man who was said to have sent a tractor to plough part of a disputed land.
Subsequent, reports revealed that the Konkomba attackers had allegedly burnt down 10 Chokosi villages – Naaduuni, Achima, Tiakasu, Kunkpende, Naaburubu, Kunajiiku, Raba?ani, Sedorti, Tojinga and Nandiri.
In retaliation, the Chokosi youth also burnt down five villages – Nachem, Tambungu, Nangbangu and Namor.
The violence and reprisals continued for about a week and subsequently led to the death of some four persons with over 150 homes reportedly torched as well.
The National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) in the district says some 5000 people have been displaced as a result of the violence.